Call to Schedule a Consultation       770.497.8688


The Right Attorney

Can make all the difference in the outcome of your case

Our lawyers build individualized solutions geared toward meeting the unique needs of clients and their families. When you hire our family law attorney, you can be confident that you have made the right choice. We will devote our attention to your case and bring clarity to your legal situation through in-depth legal knowledge and resources.

Attorney Profiles

Requesting Modifications of Court Orders

Experienced with Family & Divorce Attorney, Based in Suwanee

After a divorce is settled, a court order is put in place which lays out all of the rights and responsibilities each party has in regards to finances and shared children. At the time, one or both parties may accept the divorce settlement and how it affects their circumstances. However, divorce settlements cannot predict the future and the sudden changes it can bring. Life is an ever-changing journey, and you can never know what is next. This is why courts allow parties to modify their custody and support orders if one experiences a substantial change in circumstances.

If you need to modify support or custody after your divorce order, get a caring divorce lawyer on your side. Call Oxendine & Sauls, LLC at (770) 285-1820 for help.

When Can I Request a Modification?

If your personal circumstances have changed, it is important that you take legal action right away. Failing to stick to the terms of your divorce or family law order is unacceptable, even if you have a good reason. Our family lawyers can look over your situation to determine if you have valid grounds for a modification.

Courts usually grant modifications for:
  • Sudden loss of a job or lowered income

  • Injury in an accident or severe illness

  • Re-marriage or relocation

  • New job or raised income

  • Incident of domestic violence or criminal action

How to Modify An Existing Court Order

After a divorce, you always have the right to apply for a modification to any part of your divorce order, but this does not mean the judge will automatically grant you one. Hiring an experienced modification lawyer to represent you is in your best interest, as we can guide you in the right direction. Modifications can be made to any details concerning your children or spousal support / alimony payments, whether you recently went through a divorce or simply separated from a partner.

The first step you must take is to set up a consultation to discuss why you need a modification. This will allow us to gather sufficient evidence to develop your request. We can then help ensure you meet the requirements for a modification petition.

Contact us today at (770) 285-1820 for a consultation with our legal team. From our office in Suwanee, we serve Metro Atlanta, and surrounding areas.