As painful as it is, you’ve reached a decision to file for divorce. Now is the time to prepare for your divorce case and begin transitioning to a life separate from your spouse.
If you’re going through a divorce in Buford, GA, you can use a checklist to keep track of these important steps in the process.
- Open individual bank accounts in your own name. Transfer money from any joint checking or savings accounts into your new accounts.
- Establish your own individual credit history. Stop using any joint credit cards and apply for credit cards in your own name.
Assemble and make copies of financial documents such as:
- bank statements;
- investment records;
- retirement accounts;
- debt records and credit card statements;
- mortgage loans;
- property deeds;
- tax returns
- utility bills
- life insurance policies
- medical insurance plans
- Gather important documents like prenuptial agreements, community property agreements, and wills. Secure them in a safe deposit box at a bank.
- If you have children, collect vital records, medical insurance records, life insurance policies, education reports, college plans and information on extracurricular activities. These could factor into child custody, visitation and support agreements.
- If you or your children are in an abusive relationship with your spouse, gather documentation such as photographs, phone messages, and text messages. These could be used as evidence for obtaining an order of protection or negotiating child visitation.
- Begin planning your professional life. If you are not working or only working part-time, take refresher courses or enroll in new training. Also, update your resume.
- Take care of your physical health. If you don’t have separate health insurance, investigate whether you can maintain coverage through your spouse’s plan until the divorce is finalized. Use the coverage while you have it to attend to any medical or dental issues.
- Take care of your mental health. Maintain your relationships with family and friends. Consider talking with a counselor or therapist about your situation.
IF YOU NEED HELP CREATING YOUR CHECKLIST, CALL ATLANTA’S LEADING FAMILY LAW FIRM.
You don’t have to go through the divorce process alone. Contact an experienced divorce attorney at Oxendine & Sauls.
We can alleviate some of your stress by advocating for your interests and protecting your assets.